It’s no surprise that US consumers have embraced tablets. Last month eMarketer reported that 80% of all tablet owners said they used their tablet to research and purchase products. A new study by Viacom found that tablet owners used their devices at home nearly 75% of the time. Considering that mobile and tablets are becoming a strong focus in marketing, this number is a bit surprising to me. Of those using their tablets at home, the living and bedroom were the top two locations, as reported by eMarketer:
Seeing that home office represented 75% of respondents suggests that consumers like to use their devices for work at least some of the time. Now, what about the other 25% that like to use their devices outside their home?
These results are not that surprising. I know that airports, coffee shops and outdoor places are my top choices to use a mobile device.
As tablet adoption continues to grow, businesses need to ensure that their online presence is rendered correctly on a tablet. While PCs and laptops are definitely still in use, tablets provide an interactive experience with the ability to expand, rotate and interact with products – which makes it more appealing to potential customers. Also, data has shown that if a customer is satisfied with their tablet experience, they are bound to return and shop more. eMarketer has estimated that there may be 54.8 million tablet users in the US by the end of 2012 – and this number continues to grow rapidly.